A Little Bit About Sampson
history | why that name
The house is of cob construction and was thatched until 1959 after being destroyed by fire. Inglenook fireplaces and the original beams have been rediscovered. The South Molton Archive Society dated the house construction as 1601.
The first recorded date is 1725, which is in the Devon Record Office, where an East and West Sampson appear. We are uncertain as to whether the property was East or West Sampson as it was known only as Sampson with the later addition of Barton.
The name Sampson Barton simply means ' House of Sampson'
Sampson - The hamlet we live in
Barton - Big /Fortified building