Beef Saltimbocca Recipe
- 2 Rump or rib-eye steaks
- salt and fresh milled pepper
- 4 slices parma ham
- 4 slices mozzarella
- 4 small fresh sage leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Red Wine Jus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g shallots, finely chopped
- 250g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 750ml red wine
- 375ml port
- 1.5 ltr veal or lamb stock
- 1 ltr chicken stock
For the red wine jus
1. Place the olive oil in a medium fying pan over a medium heat.
2. Add the chopped shallots, mushrooms and thyme. Cook for about five muinutes or until soft. Remove the thyme sprig.
3. Increase the heat and add the port and red wine. Continue to cook until reduced by half, so that it has a syrup like consistency.
4. Add the two stocks to the liquid and reduce until the desired consistency is achieved.
5. Once this is reached pass through a very fine sieve so that a smooth liquid sauce remains. Keep to one side until required.
For the Beef
1. Place steaks on chopping board and cover over with cling film and flatten with rolling pin or meat mallet. Season steaks on both sides.
2. Place two slices of parma ham and mozzarella cheese with two sage leaves on top of each steak and roll. Secure with cocktail sticks or butchers string.
3. Pre heat oven to Gas mark 6, 200oC/400oF, lightly brush steaks with oil and heat a large non-stick heavy bottom frying pan. Cook the beef for 6 – 8 minutes turning occasionally until brown.
4. Transfer the beef to the oven and cook for a further 6-8 minutes (for medium).
5. Once cooked leave to rest for 2 – 3 minutes. Reheat red wine jus. Cut meat at an angle and serve immediately.